Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Did you know...?

...that they estimate it takes about 500 years for one disposable diaper to decompose???

I didnt!  That is insane!  Each year approximately 18 billion diapers enter landfills.  Now, I'll admit I'm not a big environmentalist.  Maybe I should be, but overall its just not a big passion of mine.

But that is mind-boggling to me.  What the heck is in those diapers, anyway?  And do I really want whatever chemicals are in them to be next to my baby's skin?

No.

We have about 2 boxes of disposables left, and the frugal person in me cant justify throwing them away.  Plus, we are still building our stash of cloth so I need them.  But I am starting to really hate using them.  My goal is that whenever we have our next baby, he or she will be in cloth from the beginning.  I know newborns go through a ton of diapers and it can be messy, but I just do not want my babies to be in disposables.  Plain and simple.  We don't have others watch Oliver very often, and I'm sure it'll be the same way with future children.  I'll get velcro cloth dipes so other caregivers can do the cloth without having to remember which snap fits.  I used to want to keep a stash of disposables on hand for others to use, but I'm getting over that.  If they can't use a cloth diaper with velcro, and stick the wet/soiled diaper in a wetbag for me to deal with later, I guess they won't be watching our baby!  Does that sound harsh?  I dont think so.  All we're saying is we're using cloth, which until recently (if you look at the big frame of time) was much more common than disposables!  My mom used cloth on me, and boy, have they changed since then!

I'm trying to get pics of Oliver in each of the different kinds of cloth diapers we have.  I'm not having much luck, because he does not stand still for me! lol! 

I wish I knew how to sew.  I'd love to make my own diapers, but really...I dont know about that!

2 comments:

  1. Um...I wanna see pics of Oliver in his cloth! We've been doing cloth PT and I'm working on getting a bigger stash built. What are you liking so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to get more pictures! The child doesnt stay still for 5 seconds, it seems! I love the one-size Fuzzi Bunz, and my Rumparooz. the RaR are kinda bulky, but they are great. I also have some groBaby, but they seem to run small. I saw that they just changed their name to GroVia and the GroVia is bigger, so I want to maybe try those. I also bought some covers from Serena and use those with prefolds (just folded in thirds and laid inside) and those are great! I also have a Blueberry that I bought off ebay..its nice and trim, but I wouldnt use it at night. There are sooo many more I want to try! What have you been using?

    ReplyDelete